Today, with a special dental procedure called a root canal therapy you may save that tooth. Inside each tooth is the pulp, which provides nutrients and nerves to the tooth and runs like a thread down through the root. When the pulp is diseased or injured, the pulp tissue dies. If you don’t remove it, your tooth gets infected and you could lose it. After the dentist removes the pulp, the root canal is cleaned and sealed off to protect it. Then your dentist places a crown over the tooth to help make it stronger.
Root canal treatment is needed for two main reasons.
Many people fear having root canal treatment because it may be too painful. These days this procedure is now done with minimal discomfort thanks to advances in anesthetic technology and quality dental services.
Perhaps the most important benefit of a root canal dentist’s treatment is that it lets you keep your own teeth. The process consists of:
• An access cavity is made in the tooth.
• The dead or vital pulp (nerve) is removed from the chamber and the root canals are cleaned and prepared for root filling.
• Anti-infection medications may be placed in the chamber and antibiotics may be prescribed to ward off infection.
• On the next visit the canals will be cleaned, and the root canals sealed and filled.
• In some cases, a crown will be required to hold the weakened tooth together.
Experience the golden standard of artistic and technical excellence with Bay Street Dental Group, the Family Dentist in Melbourne offering Wisdom Tooth Removal to our neighbouring suburbs, Albert Park, South Melbourne, Middle Park & Docklands. Call (03) 9646 2577 or click here to email us today. Call (03) 9646 2577 or click here to email us today.
Do you have a question for Drs Milton Herson & Gary Newstadt? We are here to help! Please click on the link below to email us online now. We look forward to hearing from you.