Once upon a time, if you had a tooth with a diseased nerve, you’d probably lose that tooth.
Today, with a special dental procedure called a root canal therapy you may save that tooth. Inside each tooth is the pulp, which provides nutrients and nerves to the tooth and runs like a thread down through the root. When the pulp is diseased or injured, the pulp tissue dies. If you don’t remove it, your tooth gets infected and you could lose it. After the dentist removes the pulp, the root canal is cleaned and sealed off to protect it. Then your dentist places a crown over the tooth to help make it stronger.
Reasons you may need a root canal treatment
Root canal treatment is needed for two main reasons.
- The first is infection. An untreated cavity is a common cause of pulp infection. The decay erodes the enamel and dentin of the tooth until it reaches a root canal. This allows bacteria to infect the pulp. Antibiotics can’t get to infections inside teeth. The inflammation caused by the infection reduces the blood supply to the tooth. The reduced blood supply also keeps the pulp from healing.
- The second reason for a root canal is damage to the pulp that can’t be fixed. Trauma or a fractured tooth can damage the pulp. So can a lot of restoration, such as several fillings placed in the same tooth over a period of time. Sometimes, common dental procedures, such as preparing a tooth for a crown, can hurt the pulp. Then the tooth might need a root canal treatment, Call Bay St Dental Group here in Melbourne for a consultation.
STEPS INVOLVED IN ROOT CANAL TREATMENT
Many people fear having root canal treatment because it may be too painful. These days this procedure is now done with minimal discomfort thanks to advances in anesthetic technology and quality dental services.
Perhaps the most important benefit of a root canal dentist’s treatment is that it lets you keep your own teeth. The process consists of:
• An access cavity is made in the tooth.
• The dead or vital pulp (nerve) is removed from the chamber and the root canals are cleaned and prepared for root filling.
• Anti-infection medications may be placed in the chamber and antibiotics may be prescribed to ward off infection.
• On the next visit the canals will be cleaned, and the root canals sealed and filled.
• In some cases, a crown will be required to hold the weakened tooth together.
Experience the golden standard of artistic and technical excellence with Bay Street Dental Group, the Family Dentist in Melbourne offering Wisdom Tooth Removal to our neighbouring suburbs, Albert Park, South Melbourne, Middle Park & Docklands. Call 1300 99 1300 or click here to email us today.